Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My Bowling Ball

I've been bowling since the late fifties. I've owned at least a half-dozen bowling balls since then.

When we became full-time Rvers, I sold my last bowling ball. It was a twelve-pound concoction of plastic, gold glitter and green and blue swirls. I believe the manufacturer called it "Peacock." When I sold it, I hadn't bowled in several years. It was too bulky and too heavy to go into the RV to be schlepped around the North american continent.

We have just purchased a stationary home after 9 years of living on wheels. I joined a bowling league and also bowl in a Senior's group on Wednesdays. The bowling alley balls were awful so I decided to purchase my own.

That may sound easy to urbanites, but here in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, nothing is that simple. I had to travel to McAllen, a 90 mile round trip, to get a custom-drilled bowling ball. A friend recommended Andy.

I called Andy several days earlier and made an appointment. (I told you nothing here is easy) Andy suggested that I bring my own shoes because he needed to watch me bowl in order to fit me for a ball.

I showed up as scheduled, slightly flustered and mostly stressed because of the traffic and construction. (Again, nothing here is simple). We both agreed that a 10 pound ball would be the best weight at my stage of life and bowling expertise (110 average). I had the choice between a glittery, cherry-red ball, a swirly blue -toned ball that reminded me of "The Big Blue Marble" of the 70's and a red and yellow swirled one that was not appealing.. I chose the blue one.

Next, Andy had me bowl a few frames. He gave me some excellent tips on how to start my approach. After watching me bowl, we went back into the pro shop and he measured my hand and fingers. As I've said, I've had many cutom drilled balls in my life, but this fellow has made an art-form out of measuring. He was as careful and concise as a plastic surgeon marking a patient.

I had to give him an hour to work on the ball, so I did an errand and went to Sam's Club. When I returned, he took some more measurements, had me put my fingers in the ball, refined the holes and made me bowl an entire 10 frame game before I left just to make certain the ball fit right. While I bowled, he gave me some more pro pointers. He also put my name and last initial on the ball. The entire process, not including the hours of driving, took close to 3 hours.

The ball was under $65, including tax. I don't think this wonder-ball will make me a 200 bowler, though Andy's tips should certainly help. I am still amazed at his professionality. Who would have thought that drilling a bowling ball could be so complicated.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home